Vertical top view on served table and hands with clinking goblets

Gov. Doug Ducey refused Thursday to reimpose his stay-at-home order even after conceding that his own data shows how effective that was in curbing the spread of COVID-19.

Instead, he is putting new rules in place on how many people can sit in restaurants.

The governor acknowledged that the number of new cases each day pretty much stayed the same from the time he issued the directive in late March through the middle of May, when he allowed it to expire. 

In fact, he said, the rate remained steady for about two weeks afterwards, the period of incubation and the time to get test results.

Only then was there an explosion.

Ducey’s decision to stay the course – at least as far as individual activity – comes as the state added 75 new deaths on Thursday due to the virus, bringing the total now to 2,038. 

There were also 4,057 new cases of COVID-19; the statewide tally since the outbreak of those affected is now 112,671.

Hospitalizations of those with positive or suspected cases also continues to set records, with the figure on Thursday at 3,471. ICU bed usage was at 861, just 10 off the record set a day earlier.

Overall, the Department of Health Services reported 89 percent of ICU beds in use by patients of all types with 87 percent of in-patient beds in use.

And more than 28 percent of the tests for the virus reported on Thursday came back positive.

“I always look at the different options of where we are and what the possibilities are,’’ Ducey said when asked about re-imposing that stay-at-home order. “We want to do what would allow us to navigate out of the situation we are in right now.’’

The governor said Arizona is seeing “some results’’ in the last 10 days since he ordered gyms, fitness centers and bars to once again close. At the same time, he gave local officials the power to mandate the use of masks but declined to make that a statewide requirement.

But Ducey said there’s also a reality that Arizonans are going to have to recognize.

“No matter what happens, we’re going to be dealing with this for some time,’’ he said. That, the governor said, makes education a better alternative than mandates, which is why his but push has been his message that “you’re safer at home.’’

“So, the better way to do this, if possible, to have public buy-in to what is the more responsible decision, not from Mount Olympus or some government entity, but by people in a positive peer-pressure type of situation.’’

Still, Ducey is willing to impose some new rules on dine-in services for which he said he got the blessing from the Arizona Restaurant Association.

The governor said dine-in facilities are now limited to half the number of people that fire inspectors have listed as capacity. 

Ducey said that both building officials and law enforcement can enforce a hard and fast number based on maximum occupancy as determined by fire departments.

That limit does not affect outdoor dining, where the risk of spreading the virus is less. 

The latest order stresses that any area beneath a roof counts as indoor dining, even if the entire side of the restaurant is open to the outdoors.

The order also has a specific requirement on patrons, requiring them to be wearing a mask any time they are not seated at their table. It also prohibits people from standing around in groups, whether to wait for a table or simply go to the bathroom, and encourages the use of reservations.

One thing that remains to be decided is when schools will resume – and in what form.

The governor last month said schools can begin instruction next month according to their regular schedule, but at this point only online. He set an “aspirational’’ start-up date of kids actually being back in seats of Aug. 17.

Earlier this week the president threatened to cut federal funding for schools that refused to accede to his demand to resume in-person instruction.

 At the same time, President Trump criticized the guidelines put out by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for safely reopening schools, saying they were too tough and expensive.

Ducey said he shares the president’s goal, but added, “It’s going to happen when it’s safe.”

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.