Be Kind to Animals Week is May 6 to 12, and it’s the perfect time to encourage the children in your life to treat all beings with compassion. Teaching kids to have empathy for animals not only helps prevent cruelty, it also helps kids grow into responsible, caring citizens.
Here are some ways to teach kids kindness:
• Model compassion. Speak kindly to your animal companions; walk your dog and play with your cat daily; ensure your animals have plenty of fresh water and nutritious food; and let them live indoors with the family.
• Enjoy animal-friendly movies and books.
• Volunteer with your child at your local animal shelter to help care for homeless animals.
• If mice or other “uninvited guests” turn up in your home, help them find their way out nonviolently.
• Plant flowers and bushes for butterflies, bees, and other wildlife.
For more ideas, visit www.PETAKids.com.
The PETA Foundation
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.