An Ahwatukee Foothills family is safe after a refrigerator in their garage caught fire around 3 a.m. on Monday morning.

The house, located near Fifth Avenue and Chandler Boulevard, had working smoke alarms and the family of three was able to get out of the home with no injuries, according to Capt. Berry Morgan of the Phoenix Fire Department.

The garage was full of flames when fire crews arrived and much of the home was a loss, including the family car which was parked in the garage.

Friends of the Tretbar family said the single mom was renting the home. They have set up an account with Arizona Federal Credit Union to try and raise money to replace what was lost. Donations can be made to the Tretbar Family account.

Stay tuned to for updates.


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.