Jason Urquidez continued his successful season in his professional debut Friday. Urquidez, the Diamondbacks’ 17th-round choice out of Arizona State who signed after the Sun Devils’ lengthy stay in the College World Series, pitched a perfect eighth inning in Yakima’s 3-2 Northwest League victory over Everett.
"It felt good to get out there and pitch and to contribute to getting a win,’’ Urquidez told the Yakima Herald-Republic. "I wasn’t nervous at all, just excited.’’
Urquidez used 14 pitches to get two groundouts and a strikeout, recording a hold.
"He was solid," said Yakima pitching coach Erik Sabel, a former D-Backs reliever. "He went out and threw strikes, and that’s the best thing you can ask for in his situation.’’
Urquidez’s father, Jim, attended the game.
• Tennessee (AA, Southern) — Stephen Drew, a three-time California League player of the week at Lancaster, had a perfect night in his Tennessee debut Tuesday — a double, two singles, two walks, an RBI, a run and a stolen base. He was promoted when Jerry Gil suffered a quadriceps strain.
Chris Carter, also moved up from Lancaster, hit safely in his first five games with the Smokies, batting .421 with a double, a home run and five RBIs.
Outfielder Jarred Ball, ninthround pick in the 2001 draft, had eight hits in 12 at-bats in his first three games last week, then followed that by stealing four bases in a game later in the week, giving him 28 for the year.
• Lancaster (high-A, California) — Outfielder Jay Garthwaite tied a league record by getting four doubles in a 16-2 victory over High Desert on Friday. He also had a single and six RBIs.
• South Bend (A, Midwest) — Matt Elliott, who has 27 saves, did not give up an earned run in 10 July appearances.
• Yakima (short-season A, Northwest) — Matt Fowles, a 27thround pick out of Illinois State this June, did not give up an earned run in his first 16 1 /3 innings.
• Missoula (Rookie, Pioneer) — Greg Smith, a sixth-round June draftee from LSU, led the league with 57 strikeouts and 44 innings while ranking fourth with a 3.27 ERA. He is averaging 11.7 strikeouts per nine innings.