Minutes after Tim Brown was cut adrift by Oakland this week, writers in the Bay Area and ESPN’s Chris Mortensen had targeted the Arizona Cardinals — with a pair of young receivers like Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin in need of tutoring — as a likely landing spot for the 38-yearold, Hall-of-Famer to be.
Forget that Fitzgerald and Boldin, like Brown, are possession receivers. Forget that Arizona’s third receiver (Bryant Johnson) isn’t a first-round bust just yet, or that the Cardinals aren’t exactly a player away from the playoffs, or that memories of giving Emmitt Smith a $5 million gold watch are still fresh in Bill Bidwill’s wallet.
Besides, when the Raiders say you’re too old . . .
A LITTLE MORE ICING
Now Jeremy Roenick says he was just kidding last week when he told XTRA’s John Gambadoro he wants to return to Phoenix badly enough to rework the last two years on his $37.5 million contract with Philadelphia.
This, of course, after the first three phone calls Roenick took once he got off the air were from his agent (Neil Abbott), Philadelphia general manager Bob Clarke and the first Flyers fan Clarke gave Roenick’s cell phone number to.
Paging J.R.: Don’t expect a buzz from Mike Barnett. It’s called "tampering."
• It will be good to see a second member of the Minnesota Vikings’ "Purple People Eaters’’ enshrined at the Hall of Fame when Carl Eller joins Alan Page in Canton on Sunday. It’s too bad Jim Marshall isn’t there with them.
• So after all that rebuilding in Dallas, the Cowboys are left with an offense that features Vinny Testaverde at quarterback, Eddie George in the backfield and Keyshawn Johnson running pass routes this season.
• After watching Steve Finley and Roberto Alomar escape from Arizona over the last week, don’t be surprised to see Randy Johnson head to the mound wearing No. 12 for his next start. Hey, it worked for those guys.
• I knew right away that Roger Clemens had nothing to do with the sunflower seed hitting that youth baseball umpire in the pant leg. With The Rocket’s pinpoint control, that shell would have caught the ump flush on the chin.
• Memo to new Rattlers head man Todd Shell: No pressure coach. Two championships and five trips to the ArenaBowl over the next decade should do fine.
• Michael Vick has vowed not to cut his hair until Atlanta wins the Super Bowl. Let’s check back in a few years, when Vick looks like Cousin It from "The Addams Family" under his helmet.
• One of the two stolen signs trumpeting Akron, Ohio, as the hometown of NBA star LeBron James was found on the property of a local funeral home this week.
This could be an editorial statement from a thief who has been watching James and Team USA stumble across Europe.