Led by senior Ashley Kelly, who won the all-around title with a score of 39.525, the No. 11 Arizona State women’s gymnastics team took first place Saturday with a score of 196.675 at the NCAA North Central Regional championship in Ames, Iowa.
With the first-place finish, the Sun Devils automatically qualify for the NCAA Championships April 20-22 in Corvallis, Ore.
It is the Sun Devils’ third NCAA regional title and their first since 1987. With the automatic berth, the Sun Devils will be headed to the NCAA Championships as a team for the 19th time in the 25-year history of the national tournament.
ASU hit five of its six routines on the vault to score a 49.125 and hit all six of its routines in the uneven bars (49.175). Five gymnasts scored 9.8 or higher on the balance beam for 49.175 points and closed out the event with 49.2 on the floor exercise.
• ASU’s Niklas Lemke shot 69 for a 136 total after the second round of the ASU Thunderbird Invitational at Karsten Golf Course. The Sun Devils are in sixth place at 8-under 560, 11 shots behind co-leaders San Diego State and UNLV in the 16-team tournament.
TRACK AND FIELD
• Arizona State earned NCAA regional berths in three track events and three field events at the Texas Relays in Austin, Texas.
Shauntel Elcock, Christina Hardeman, Jacquelyn Johnson and Latosha Wallace clocked the 1,600-meter relay in 3:36.74 to place third overall.
April Kubishta finished eighth in the pole vault with a clearance of 12 feet, 11 1/2 inches, to earn a regional berth. Brandon Glenn also advanced to regionals in the pole vault with a mark of 17-4 1 /2 and Ryan Zimmerman place fourth in the triple jump with a wind-aided mark of 51-11.
The 1,600 relay of Jerry Jones, Chris Adams, Rich Allen and Domenik Peterson turned in a season-best mark of 3:05.22 to earn a regional berth while placing fifth overall. In the 100, Kelvin Love Jr. finished sixth at 10.42.
• Katie Burkhart recorded 23 strikeouts and Ashley Werschky was 1-for-3 with one RBI as No. 8 Arizona State (37-5, 1-2 Pac-10) fell 3-1 to Washington in 11 innings at ASU’s Farrington Stadium.
• Arizona stranded seven of its 10 runners in scoring position and committed five errors in a 10-2 loss to No. 14 Oregon State (21-8, 3-2 Pac-10) at Corvallis, Ore. Brad Mills (3-2) was charged with the loss after giving up seven runs, six earned, on eight hits in 4 1 /3 innings of work for the Wildcats (13-16, 1-4).
• The Phoenix RoadRunners fell 4-3 to the Las Vegas Wranglers in the regular season finale before 7,206 at Las Vegas in ECHL action. Steve Crampton broke a tie with a goal 11:49 into the third period for the Wranglers (53-13-6). Jake Riddle scored twice for Phoenix (20-47-5).
• Dan Dawson and Pat Maddalena each recorded hat tricks as the visiting Arizona Sting (6-8) lost 14-12 to the Calgary Roughnecks in National Lacrosse League action.