Wie withdraws from Safeway International - East Valley Tribune: Sports

Wie withdraws from Safeway International

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 8:34 am | Updated: 10:46 pm, Fri Oct 7, 2011.

Michelle Wie withdrew from the Safeway International on Friday after tweaking an injury to her left wrist during practice last week.

"I am extremely disappointed to miss the 2008 Safeway International," Wie said. "I'm so grateful to Tom Maletis and the entire tournament staff for offering me this great opportunity, and hope to be back again next year."

Wie, 18, received a sponsor exemption to play in the event next week at Superstition Mountain in Gold Canyon. She has played one tournament this year, finishing 20 strokes behind winner Paula Creamer in the Fields Open in Hawaii late last month.

Wie's agent, Jill Smoller of the William Morris Agency, said the Stanford freshman reinjured her left wrist when she accidentally hit a ball that was embedded in thick rough on the driving range at Stanford on March 13.

Smoller said Wie immediately consulted a doctor at Stanford and also saw a hand specialist in Los Angeles on Monday.

"Fortunately, X-rays, an MRI and a CAT scan didn't show any major injury," Smoller said. "Her doctor diagnosed it as a sprain, and advised Michelle to rest the wrist for a few weeks to allow it to heal properly."

  • Discuss

EVT Ice Bucket Challenge

The East Valley Tribune accepts the Ice Bucket Challenge.

Your Az Jobs
Loading…