Mesa Parks and Recreation’s adaptive recreation program is hosting an adaptive golf clinic Feb. 4, designed for youth and adults with a permanent physical disability. Youth and adults with disabilities such as amputation, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, spina bifida, spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury or visual impairments are welcome.
"Golf has long been the year-round family game in Arizona," said Susan Byrne of the Mesa Parks adaptive recreation program in a press release. "What some individuals do not know is how easily a family member with a disability can enjoy a sunny afternoon on the course with an able-bodied family member or peer."
The clinic is scheduled from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Mesa Golf Center, 3252 E. McKellips Road. A $15 donation — which includes lunch — would be appreciated.
Demonstrations of stateof-the-art equipment designed to make golf accessible to people with disabilities are planned. Information about accessible golf courses in Arizona will also be available.
Registration can be done by calling (480) 644-5702, or downloading an application from www.cityofmesa.org/parksrec
Registration will also be taken on site on Feb. 4.
For more information, contact Byrne at (480) 644-5702.
Also going on in Scottsdale, the East Valley and elsewhere:
• Mesa American Little League will conduct spring baseball and softball registration for players ages 5 to 16 on Saturday and again Jan. 28 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Rhodes Junior High School. Visit
www.mesalittleleague.com or call (480) 345-0963.
• Mesa Southern Little League is having spring registration on Saturday and Jan. 28, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. both days at Franklin East Elementary School in Mesa, 1745 East Eighth Ave. For information on boundaries, costs and eligibility, visit www.mesabaseball.com or call (602) 292-1681.
• Gilbert American Little League is registering players for baseball and softball. Visit www.gilbertlittleleague.com for registration forms and general information or call (480) 988-4832. Seasons begin March 26.
• Gilbert National Little League needs players for youth baseball and softball (players ages 5-16). Registration will continue through January for the season, which begins in March. Visit www.gilbertnational.org.
• Chandler Youth Baseball will be registering for its 2006 spring season every Saturday in January at Skateland, at Ray and Alma School roads. Leagues are available for ages 4 through 18. Visit www.cybb.org for more information.
• Superstition Little League is conducting walk-up registration for the spring season from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Countryside Park in Gilbert. Registration will also be done on tryout days (Tuesday and Jan. 26 at 6:30 p.m. for majors; Feb. 1 and Feb. 2 at 6:30 p.m. for minors). Visit www.superstitionll.com or call Randy Redman at (480) 926-3804.
• Red Mountain Multigenerational Center in Mesa will give away two three-month family passes in a random drawing in early February. Entry forms can be found in the Spring 2006 edition of TimeOut, the Mesa Community Services Department’s program brochure, available at Mesa libraries, parks and recreation offices and online at
• The Itty Bitty Open for 3-, 4-and 5-year-old golfers will be Saturday at 15 Valley parks. The event is free. Call (602) 944-6168 or visit www.jgaa.org.
• Rich Beem, winner of the 2002 PGA Championship will host "Shedding a Beem of Light on Multiple Sclerosis" Jan. 30 at Talking Stick Golf Club in Scottsdale. Tickets cost $100 with three winners to be drawn on Jan. 23 to play a round of golf with Beem. Call (480) 545-5540 to register.
• Emerald Park, a Mesa Parks and Recreation facility at 1455 S. Harris, has a disc golf course. For more information visit www.cityofmesa.org/parksrec.
• Lil Hammers youth soccer program, sponsored by Chandler Parks and Recreation, will conduct a six-week (Jan. 31-March 11) program for youth ages 4-7 at Snedigar Complex in Chandler and Goodwin Park in Tempe, on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. Call Brett Epstein at (480) 650-1290.
• Arizona Water Polo is looking for high school players for the spring season. Practices are at Brimhall Junior High in Mesa, Arizona State and Chandler High School. Call (602) 418-0917.