Tempe Parks and Recreation is offering its all city winter basketball programs for youth in kindergarten through eighth grade.
Small Ball is available for kindergarten through third graders on Saturdays at Kiwanis Park and Escalante Community Center. The older children will play at Tempe middle schools based on gymnasium availability.
Younger kids will be taught the basics of shooting, ballhanding, defense and passing.
Participation, skill development, good sportsmanship, friendly competition and fun is the focus for the older children.
Fees are $55 and $65 with assistance available. Registration deadline is Jan. 6. Play is scheduled for the following week, continuing until early March.
Visit www.tempe.gov/pkrec or call (480) 350-5200 for information.
Also going on in Scottsdale, the East Valley and elsewhere:
• Desert Foothills Little League (for players ages 5-16) will conduct registration for spring play on Dec. 10 (1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.) and Jan. 9 (6:15 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.) at Horizon Park Community Center in Scottsdale. Call (480) 860-4594 or visit www.dfllbaseball.com to see boundaries, registration requirements and fees.
• Southwest Professional Baseball School will conduct winter break sessions Jan. 2-4 at Gene Autry Park in Mesa for players ages 13-15 and 16-23.
Call (480) 830-8031 or write SWPROBALL@aol.com.
• Former major league player and current Detroit Tigers television broadcaster Rod Allen is hosting a Thanksgiving Break Camp, Nov. 25-26 at GameOn Family Entertainment Center, 15633 S. 32nd Street, Ahwatukee Foothills. The camp will run from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. each day. Lunch will be provided along with game tokens, a camp T-shirt and an inflatable park pass. Pre-registration is $125 and limited to the first 50 children. Registration the day of the camp is $150. Visit www.gameonaz.com.
• Superstition Little League is conducting online early registration for the 2006 season at a reduced fee. Visit www.superstitionll.com or call Randy Redman at (480) 926-3804 for additional information.
• Gilbert National Little League needs players for youth baseball and softball (ages 5-16) for the 2006 season. Registration will continue through January for the season, which begins in March. Visit
• The annual Arizona Major League Alumni Thanksgiving clinic will be Nov. 25-26 at Kyrene Akimel A-al Middle School, 2720 E. Liberty Lane, Ahwatukee Foothills. The clinic is from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and cost is $80 for youth ages 7-18. Call (480) 777-1250.
• The Arizona Tru Ballers club will conduct tryouts in December and January for girls ages 10-13. The club begins play in the spring. Athletes will learn the fundamentals of basketball. Write firstname.lastname@example.org or call (480) 732-9301 for info.
• Adults 35 years of age and older can enjoy drop-in basketball from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Thursdays at the McQueen Park Activity Center, 510 N. Horne Street, Gilbert. Games are five-on-five with no predetermined teams and no league. Admission is $2 for residents and $3 for non-residents. Call (480) 503-6294.
• AZ East Valley National Junior Basketball/Gilbert Chapter is accepting online registration through Saturday for its youth division (first through eighth grade). Games are played on Saturdays with the season scheduled to begin Dec. 3. Visit www.azeastvalleynjb.org or call (480) 766-2100.
• The Town of Gilbert Parks and Recreation Department is accepting team registration for its Holiday Dodgeball Tournament scheduled for Dec. 3 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. The tournament, at Freestone Recreation Center, 1141 E. Guadalupe Road, features co-rec teams made up of adults. The cost is $100 per team, and there is a maximum of 16 teams. Call (480) 503-6202.
• The Mesa Caledonian Pipe Band will host its second Tartan Golf Fest on Dec. 10 at Legacy Golf Resort, 6806 South 32nd Street, Phoenix. The event is scheduled for a 12:45 p.m. shotgun start. Cost is $85. Call Dianne Nunez at (480) 641-8073.
• The third annual PanCAN/ TGen Golf Tournament to benefit pancreatic cancer research is scheduled for Dec. 3 at the Stone Creek Golf Course in Phoenix. The tournament needs individuals and businesses for sponsorship, participation, raffle-prize donations and volunteering time. Visit www.forthemother.com for information.
• An NRA basic pistol class will be offered at Rio Salado Sportsman Club, 3960 N. Usery Pass Road, Mesa, Saturday and Sunday. Cost is $20 for members, $25 for nonmembers. Pre-registration is required. Call Craig Cox at (480) 924-1551.
• Red Mountain Lacrosse Club will host a free clinic Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. for youths (boys in grades 6-12; girls in grades 9-12) at Fremont Junior High School, 1001 N. Power Road, Mesa. For information write email@example.com.
• The Cave Creek Critters, who practice Thursdays from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Paradise Valley West Park, are seeking players with or without experience. Visit www.critterrugby.com or call (602) 735-3999.
• The Gilbert Youth Soccer Association is conducting registration for the 2006 spring season. Walk-in registration will take place from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday and from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. on Dec. 3 at Gilbert Youth Soccer Complex. Fee is $6. Visit www.azgysa.com or call (480) 926-0764.
• The Paradise Valley Girls Softball League (players ages 6-14) is accepting registration for its 2006 spring season. Play begins in February. Visit www.pvgsl.com or call (602) 997-8475.