You can just hear the squeaky wheels turning over at Casa Bidwill. We can’t beat the "2-14-Niners’’ in San Francisco or Tempe? Why not give Mexico a try?
The revenue from 100,000 fans at the game being planned by the NFL for Azteca Stadium would sure beat a 60 percent cut of 32,000 fans — the "official’’ throng from last year’s 49ers-Cardinals fiesta in Tempe — and it would be another game on TV. (By the way, do those in Mexico City know the game will be blacked out there if only 80,000 amigos can tear themselves away from cockfights and Telemundo in time for kickoff?)
Then, of course, logic rears its pesky head. The Cards have won 10 games in the last two years, nine of them in Tempe. On the road? Try 1-15. And that’s in cities with clean drinking water and rap music.
So, after spending wisely in free agency (sans quarterback Kurt Warner) and positioning themselves to be a .500 team, the Cardinals will gladly erase their most winnable home game — the one that could send them to the playoffs — all for nothing more than outright greed and a final chance to annoy ASU on the way to Glendale?
Of course they will. It all makes sense now.
Brownie Points will spend the next 10 days covering LPGA golf and on vacation (it’s really hard to choose between the two), so here’s my lead-pipe NCAA tournament picks all the way up to St. Louis.
• Chicago Region — First-round winners: Illinois, Texas, Alabama, Boston College, LSU, Arizona, St. Mary’s and Oklahoma State. Sweet 16: Illinois, Alabama, Arizona and Oklahoma State. Elite Eight: Illinois and Oklahoma State.
Final Four? Sorry Illini. Eddie Sutton and the Cowboys.
• Albuquerque Region — Firstround winners: Washington, Pitt, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Texas Tech, Gonzaga, West Virginia, Wake Forest. Sweet 16: Washington, Louisville, Texas Tech, Wake Forest. Elite Eight: Louisville and Wake Forest.
Final Four? Louisville should have been a No. 1 seed and proves it.
• Syracuse Region —First-round winners: North Carolina, Iowa State, Villanova, Florida, Wisconsin, Kansas, N.C. State, Connecticut. Sweet 16: North Carolina, Florida, Wisconsin, UConn. Elite Eight: North Carolina and UConn.
Final Four? The Huskies get a chance to repeat.
• Austin Region — First-round winners: Duke, Mississippi State, Michigan State, Syracuse, UTEP, Oklahoma, Iowa, Kentucky. Sweet 16: Duke, Syracuse, UTEP, Kentucky (shades of 1965!). Elite Eight: Syracuse, Kentucky.
Final Four? Gerry McNamara and Syracuse appear in St. Louis.
• The Cardinals have every intention of signing Shaun Alexander or Edgerrin James — in say, 2011.
The Big Red wants to give these top running backs another five to six years to prove themselves in the league before making a big offer. Check back when they are 33 or 34 years old.