After one game, new Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf has had enough.
In the wake of Sunday’s loss to Tampa Bay, Wilf — who warned over the summer that he’s a sore loser — told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that he will immediately take a more active role in the football operations of the team.
Poor Mike Tice. He’s the lowest-paid coach in the NFL, his best receiver was sold to Oakland, his running back made "The Original Whizzinator’’ a household phrase and now he has George Steinbrenner of the North sitting in the owner’s box.
Tice should take that pencil from behind his ear and write himself out of this soap opera.
How can you get mad at the players who took part in Monday night’s dopey pregame pushing match — if that was a brawl, I’m Brad Pitt — between the Eagles and Falcons? Atlanta coach Jim Mora Jr. thinks it was just peachy.
‘‘Sure, it’s kind of childish,’’ Mora said Tuesday with a smile. "But you’ve got to admit — it’s fun.’’
You’ve also got to admit the whole thing smelled pretty scripted. I’m surprised Hank Williams Jr. didn’t have some "Monday Night Raw’’ lyrics at the ready. Funny how the New England Patriots didn’t do the same thing in their opener against the Raiders.
• I really thought Barry Bonds creamed that ball in his first atbat Monday and it would certainly clear the outfield wall. I wonder what went wrong?
• After all that Triple Crown talk, the Cubs’ Derrek Lee now trails in all three categories. As we move forward, Carl Yastrzemski’s 1967 season looks better and better.
• Can an underachieving, $200 million team that might miss the playoffs produce the Most Valuable Player in the American League? It seems impossible, but in the David Ortiz-Alex Rodriguez argument, I have to lean toward A-Rod — because he has the numbers and plays the field every day (he hasn’t made an error in two months).
• He waited too long to hang up the skates, but best wishes to Mark Messier in the future — which will, and you can mark this down, include a stint behind the bench as New York Rangers’ coach.
Gretzky vs. Messier in a future Stanley Cup finals: How cool would that be?
• The most improved team in the NHL? The Atlanta Thrashers, with the likes of Marian Hossa, Bobby Holik and now Peter Bondra joining a good young nucleus.
• Every time I watch Shaquille O’Neal play police officer in Miami, I think how lucky we are he doesn’t want to be a heart surgeon when he grows up.