Valley YMCAs will conduct a Youth Sports Super Sign-Up from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday. Teams are forming for basketball, football, volleyball, soccer, karate, and gymnastics. Teams will begin playing on March 17.
Registration costs, which vary by program, start at $40. Volunteer coaches are also needed. Coaches will receive training and need to be able to commit 3 to 5 hours per week, attending one practice during the week and a game on the weekend.
YMCAs in the East Valley are located at: Ahwatukee Foothills (1030 East Liberty Lane, Phoenix), Chandler/Gilbert (1655 West Frye Road, Chandler), Copper Basin (28300 N. Main St., Queen Creek), Mesa (207 N. Mesa Drive), Scottsdale/Paradise Valley (6869 East Shea Boulevard) and Tempe (7070 South Rural Road).
For more information visit www.ValleyYMCA.org or call (602) 404-YMCA.
Also going on in the East Valley, Scottsdale and nearby:
• The Papago FITA Archers conduct free “learn-to” clinics at the range located at 64th Street and McDowell from 7:45 a.m. to 9 a.m. on Saturdays Visit www.papagoarchery.com.
• The Town of Gilbert is recruiting volunteer coaches for the Youth Spring Ball Program, which runs from March 31 to May 12. Coaches are needed for different divisions. The Youth Spring Ball Program is for boys and girls who are interested in playing noncompetitive tee ball, baseball and softball. Information: (480) 503-6253.
• Late registration for Tempe South Little League (all ages — 4 thru 18) is available at www.tempelittleleague.com or by calling (480) 598-4090.
• The Mesa Veterans Day Parade Association is conducting a tournament scheduled for a 12:30 p.m. start March 17 at Ahwatukee Country Club (12432 S. 48th St., Phoenix). Anyone interested in participating in the tournament or sponsoring a hole should contact Michael Thelen at (480) 282-0815 or e-mail email@example.com or Alex Kollitz at (480) 941-8995 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Proceeds from the April 13-14 Scottsdale Healthcare Golf Classic will benefit the Neighborhood Outreach Action for Health program which helps low-income families in Scottsdale and northeast Phoenix have access to health services. Entry fee of $800 per foursome includes green fees and golf carts, player’s gift package, lunch both days, and an invitation to the dinner/dance on Friday and the awards reception on Saturday. Contact Deborah Rittenhouse at (480) 882-4505 or email@example.com, or visit www.shc.org/golfclassic.
• The Superstition Springs Golf Tournament benefiting “Best Buddies” will be Sept. 14 at Superstition Mountain Golf Course. For information call Scott at (480) 324-8904.
• The Ahwatukee Girls’ Lacrosse Club is kicking off its inaugural season of lacrosse for girls from fifth through eighth grades. Call (480) 759-3109 or visit www.ahwatukeegirlslax.org.
• More than 500 runners from the United States, Canada and several European countries are expected to compete Feb. 18 in the sixth annual Lost Dutchman Marathon, which begins at the Peralta Trail Head in Apache Junction. There are five races: a marathon (7 a.m.), half marathon (7:30 a.m.), 10K (8 a.m.), 8K run (7:45 a.m.) and 2-mile fun run/walk (8:05 a.m.). Entry fees range from $20 to $60 depending on the race and date of entry. There is also a prerace carbo dinner available for $15 as well as an expo from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Feb. 17, at the Apache Junction Multigenerational Center. For more information visit www.lostdutchmanmarathon.org.
• Gene Autry Tennis Center is conducting a junior nonelimination tournament on Feb. 17 offering singles play for juniors grouped by age and ability. Entry fee is $12. Deadline is Monday. A five-week session of adult and junior group tennis lessons will begin Feb. 19. Call (480) 654-3787 or visit www.mesatennis.com.
TRACK AND FIELD
• Hershey Track and Field clinics will be Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. beginning March 20 and ending April 24 at the Gilbert Mesquite High School track (500 S. McQueen Road). The program is designed for children born 1993-2000. Registration for Gilbert residents begins Feb. 21 by touch-tone registration at (480) 503-6225 or online with a credit card at www.GilbertRecreation.com. The local qualifier is scheduled for April 27. Cost for the clinic (includes 11 practices) is $25 for residents and $37 for nonresidents Visit www.ci.gilbert.az.us/parks/sportsyouth.cfm or call (480) 503-6200.
• The Mesa Red Mountain Freestyle (Olympics style) program will be every Monday and Wednesday beginning Feb. 21 and continuing until May 9 at the Red Mountain High School wrestling room for all ages (K-sixth grade: 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.; seventh-12th grade: 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.). Contact Nick Karantinos at (480) 204-3257.
• The Fly-N-High Freestyle Wrestling Club, which begins a new season Feb. 20, practices in the wrestling room at Gilbert Highland High School (4301 E. Guadalupe Road) on Tuesday and Thursday through May 17. Times are 5:45 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. for elementary ages and 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. for junior high and high school ages. Contact Don Bowles at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To submit an announcement send a fax to (480) 898-5665 or e-mail email@example.com. Items can be mailed to the Tribune, Attn: Billye Jill Paulson, 120 W. First Ave., Mesa 85210.