Gilbert firefighters used bulldozers in fighting a hay fire late Tuesday and into Wednesday that was about 300 yards from Payne Junior High School, near Higley Road and Hunt Highway in Queen Creek.
Terry Locke, spokesman for the Chandler Unified School District, said the fire was not a threat to the school and the wind was blowing the smoke in the opposite direction.
“It’s just smoldering; no flames,” Locke said.
Firefighters advised the school to keep students inside, and an after-school soccer game was rescheduled, Locke said.
“It was a little more of an inside day,” Locke said.
Capt. Mike Connor, Gilbert fire spokesman, said crews responded about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Connor said the property, 26604 S. Higley Road, is a hay sales business, so the decision was made to aggressively fight the flames. The bales were stacked about 15 high and spread out for 150 feet.
The fire was out by 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
“It’s been a pretty long event,” Connor said.