Nearly 300 people were evacuated from Banner Healthcare’s administration offices and two were taken to Banner Desert Medical Center for evaluation on Thursday after complaining of the smell of fumes from roofing adhesive coming into the building’s ventilation system.
Hazmat crews from the Mesa Fire Department responded to a call of an odor of fumes coming into an intake system about 10:43 a.m., causing the building at 525 W. Brown, formerly Mesa Lutheran Hospital, to be evacuated for about 90 minutes, according to a fire department spokesman.
Crews discovered roofing workers were applying adhesive near an intake system, according to engineer Dave Johnson, spokesman for Mesa Fire Department.
Johnson said that of 10 employees complaining of the smell, two were taken to Banner Desert Medical Center for evaluation.
“It was more of a chemical thing than a Hazmat thing,” Johnson said.