Inside is a list of numerous organizations that are accepting hurricane relief donations and contributions. If you are aware of any other relief organizations or charities, please e-mail them to us.
How to help
• The Arizona Red Cross. Call (800) 435-7669 or visit www.arizonaredcross.org.
• The Salvation Army. Call (800) 725-2769 or visit www.salvationarmycares.org/disasterrelief.asp.
• The Society of St. Vincent de Paul in Phoenix. Call (602) 261-6814. Donations marked "Katrina relief" may also be mailed to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, P.O. Box 13600, Phoenix, AZ 85002.
• Operation Blessing. Call (800) 436-6348
• America's Second Harvest. Call (800) 344-8070
Gov. Janet Napolitano encourages Arizonans to help with Hurricane Katrina relief by contributing dollars rather than items to relief agencies. The Federal Emergency Management Agency advises that volunteers should not report directly to the Gulf Coast states unless directed by a voluntary agency. Self-dispatched volunteers can put themselves and others in harm's way and hamper rescue efforts.
Bishop Thomas Olmsted of the Catholic Diocese of Phoenix said special collections are planned at all Masses this weekend for hurricane victims. Donations will go to a relief fund admininisered by Catholic Charities USA. Donations may also be sent directly to 2005 Hurricane Relief Fund, Catholic Charities USA, PO Box 25168, Alexandria, VA 22313-9788. Or call (800) 919-9338 or www.catholiccharitiesusa.org.
Other Valley churches have set up the following Web sites with instructions on how to make donations:
• Jewish Federation of Greater Phoenix - www.jewishphoenix.org
• Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - www.lds.org or (801) 240-3544
• Presbyterian Church (USA) - www.pcusa.org or (800) 872-3283.
• Evangelical Lutheran Church in America - www.elca.org or (800) 638-3522.
• United Methodist Church - www.methodistrelief.org or (800) 554-8583.
• Episcopal - www.er-d.org or (800) 334-7626, ext. 5129
• Southern Baptist Convention - www.sbc.net
• Nazarene - www.ncnnews.org
• Assemblies of God - ag.org
• Church of God - www.churchofgod.cc
Thus far, state agencies have committed the following assistance:
• Helicopters from the Arizona Department of Public Safety will assist in rescue missions in Mississippi and Louisiana.
• The Arizona Land Department has sent an 8-member incident management team, and more are on standby to assist if needed.
• The Arizona Department of Health Services has a team on standby that will be dispatched as soon as requested by the Centers for Disease Control.
• The Arizona National Guard is prepared to be deployed to the Gulf Coast if needed.
The Mesa Slam Poetry community will hold a poetry slam fundraiser to aid victims of Hurricane Katrina starting 8 p.m. today (Thursday) at Essenza Coffee House, 1350 S. Longmore in Mesa, across from Fiesta Mall. Donations are welcome, and all proceeds will go toward the American Red Cross. Information: (480) 461-0445 or (480) 857-3137.