Saudis say they found American's head - East Valley Tribune: Nation / World

Saudis say they found American's head

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 5:24 am | Updated: 5:38 pm, Thu Oct 6, 2011.

July 21, 2004

CAIRO, Egypt - The head of slain American hostage Paul M. Johnson Jr., who was kidnapped and beheaded by militants in Saudi Arabia last month, was found in a raid on the house of Saudi Arabia's al-Qaida leader, the Interior Ministry said Wednesday.

Authorities said the head was found as Saudi security forces raided the home of Saleh Mohammed al-Aoofi. Two militants were killed and three were wounded in the sweep, but it was not clear if al-Aoofi was among them.

A Saudi Interior Ministry official who reported the gunbattle and raid late Tuesday said authorities were holding the wife and three children of al-Aoofi.

In a statement, broadcast on Saudi al-Ekhbariya television monitored in Cairo, the Interior Ministry said the head was found in a freezer in the apartment. The statement said the rest of the body was not found.

Johnson, a 49-year-old engineer who had worked in Saudi Arabia for more than a decade, was kidnapped June 12 by militants in Riyadh who followed through on a threat to kill him if the kingdom did not release its al-Qaida prisoners. An al-Qaida group claiming responsibility posted an Internet message that showed grisly photographs of a beheaded body. Later, video of the beheading was posted.

  • Discuss

EVT Ice Bucket Challenge

The East Valley Tribune accepts the Ice Bucket Challenge.

Your Az Jobs