14-year-old Palestinian girl killed in Gaza clash: official - East Valley Tribune: Nation / World

14-year-old Palestinian girl killed in Gaza clash: official

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2008 2:27 am | Updated: 8:48 pm, Fri Oct 7, 2011.

GAZA CTIY, Gaza Strip - Israeli forces entered a northern Gaza town early Saturday and seized a local Hamas leader from his home amid heavy fighting with Palestinian gunmen, Hamas militants and a Palestinian health official said. The wanted man's 14-year-old daughter was killed in the clashes.

Photo gallery: Conflict in the Middle East

The fighting erupted in the town of Beit Lahiya, near the border with Israel. The army confirmed the raid, saying its forces exchanged fire with Palestinian militants.

Despite the renewed violence, Egypt is making another attempt to broker a truce between Hamas and Israel. The deal would also include a prisoner swap and the opening of Gaza border crossings; the territory has been virtually sealed by Israel and Egypt since Hamas' violent takeover last June.

Israel is to respond in coming days to Hamas' latest proposal, which includes a six-month truce. Hamas' Gaza strongman, Mahmoud Zahar, said that if Israel rejects the deal, "all options are open." He issued the implied threat of more violence in a televised statement Friday, after he returned from talks with Egyptian officials in Cairo.

Israel is skeptical of the offer. On Saturday, a former deputy defense minister, Ephraim Sneh, said the government should not accept a truce with Hamas.

He said anything that prolongs Hamas rule in Gaza, including a cease-fire, runs counter Israel's interest. "There is a zero-sum game between us and Hamas," Sneh told Israel Radio, adding that he believes Israel will eventually have to try to oust the Islamic militants by force.

Sneh is a legislator from Israel's Labor Party, which is headed by Defense Minister Ehud Barak. The military has said it would continue pursuing Hamas militants as long as they threaten Israeli civilians. Hamas and other militant groups have fired hundreds of rockets at Israeli border towns in recent years.

The apparent target of the Israeli raid in northern Gaza on Saturday was Talat Hassan Marouf, a local Hamas leader. The fighting took place around his house, and Israeli forces withdrew after detaining him, said Abu Obeida, a spokesman for the Hamas military wing.

The army would not comment on Marouf's arrest.

His 14-year old daughter, Mariam, was killed by shrapnel from heavy machine guns, said Dr. Moawiya Hassanain, a Palestinian Health Ministry official. Her mother was injured in the clashes.

Nine other Palestinians, including seven gunmen, were also wounded in the fighting, said Hassanain. Three of the gunmen were in critical condition, he said.

The fighting began before dawn when an Israeli undercover force entered an area of northern Gaza near the border with Israel. Hamas and Islamic Jihad militants fired at the force, using machine guns, mortars and homemade bombs, Hamas militants said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were close to the fighting and feared possible retribution from Israel.

A dozen of Israeli tanks and aircraft provided cover during the clashes, the army said. It said its aircraft launched two missile strikes against the militants.

The sound of explosions could be heard across northern Gaza.

  • Discuss
Your Az Jobs