Ashley Armenta had an argument with her husband in their car on July 8 and decided to walk home. The 27-year-old Phoenix woman got out near 48th Street and Indian School Road and soon felt the presence of a car behind her. She heard a loud bang and felt a stinging.
Police allege Serial Shooter suspect Samuel Dieteman shot Armenta at random as Dale Hausner drove.
Phoenix police reports released Friday and court records give glimpses into dozens of similar stories.
Hausner and Dieteman are each charged with attempted first-degree murder, aggravated assault and drive-by shooting for each of the following victims, who survived their injuries. Summaries are based on police accounts.
• May 3: Kibili Tambadu, 17, was walking north on 44th Street from Van Buren Street when he heard two loud pops and felt a sharp pain. Hausner shot Tambadu while driving.
• May 30: James Hodge, 56, was standing in a grassy area near his apartment at 4820 N. 89th Ave. when he heard a loud bang and felt pain. Hausner shot him while Dieteman drove.
• May 31: Darrell Davies, 44, was walking through an intersection at 8600 W. Camelback Road when he heard a loud bang and a gun blast spun him around.
• May 31: Miguel Rodriguez, 35, was walking near 7002 W. Indian School Road when a white, smaller car drove by in the curb lane and he heard a loud bang and felt pain.
• June 8: Paul Patrick, 45, was crossing the street at 7800 W. Indian School when he heard a blast and felt pain as an older Chevy convertible pulled out of a Jiffy Lube.
• June 11: Elizabeth Clark, 31, was riding her bicycle at 10100 W. Camelback Road when she heard a loud blast and felt pain.
• June 20: Frederic Fena, 57, was looking through a toolbox while getting ready to paint the drive-through of a liquor store at 901 E. Indian School Road when he heard a loud bang.
• June 20: Tony Long, 46, was walking on 44th Street toward Van Burn when he heard a loud bang and felt the impact of a gunshot. Hausner shot as Dieteman drove.
• July 1: A security guard at Arizona State Hospital in the 2500 block of East Van Buren Street saw Diane Bein, 46, walking east when he heard a pop and saw her run west screaming. Hausner drove as Dieteman shot the victim in the back.
• July 1: Jeremy Ortiz, 24, was listening to music through his headphones in a parking lot near 1600 E. Oak St. when he heard a firecracker and felt discomfort.
• July 8: Armenta is shot.
• July 8: Garry Begay, 41, noticed a car slowing down as he walked near 5012 E. Van Buren. As he turned to look, he heard a loud bang and saw a muzzle flash that lit up the interior of the car. The only occupant was the driver.