People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has declared Oct. 21-27 Cat Week, but we can honor our feline family members all year by following these tips:
• Decline to declaw. Declawing is a painful mutilation that involves severing bones, ligaments, and tendons and can leave cats disabled for life.
• Keep cats indoors. Outside, they are defenseless against cars, cruel people, contagious diseases, poisons, and other dangers. Some cats enjoy exploring the outdoors on a leash and harness, under constant supervision.
• Scoop litter boxes at least twice daily. No one enjoys having to tiptoe through their own waste.
• Get them “fixed.” Spaying and neutering prevent more kittens from being born only to end up homeless. They also protect cats from several cancers that are expensive to treat and often deadly.
• Make time daily to play with, brush, cuddle, and tell your cat just how purr-fect they are.
The PETA Foundation