The Chandler Unified School District has doubled in size over the last 10 years — but the real growth might still be in the future. Within the next five years, the district expects to build up to 12 new schools to accommodate the rush.
On Wednesday the governing board approved expansions at Basha High, Chandler Traditional Academy-Freedom and Navarrete Elementary schools.
And the latest round of school boundary forums — which have become annual events in Chandler — will start Nov. 22 to make room for two elementary schools that will open next year.
"It’s getting increasingly challenging to keep students at the same school for five years," Superintendent Camille Casteel said. "We’d like not to move them anymore than we need to."
School boundary forums
Families affected by the opening of two new schools in 2006 can give input.
• 6:30 p.m. Nov. 22, Basha Elementary, 3535 S. Basha Road
• 6:30 p.m. Nov. 29, Weinberg Elementary, 21221 S. Val Vista Drive
• 6:30 p.m. Dec. 6, Santan Elementary, 1550 E. Chandler Heights Road
• 6 p.m. Dec. 13, Navarrete Elementary, 6490 S. Sun Groves Blvd.
• 7 p.m. Dec. 21, district office, 1525 W. Frye Road. Administration will present recommendation to governing board.
• 7 p.m. Jan. 11, district office. Governing board votes on elementary school boundary changes.
For proposed boundary maps, visit