A 1-year-old boy is in stable condition at Banner Cardon’s Children’s Medical Center after his mother pulled him out of a swimming pool at the Mesa family’s home on Monday.
Shortly after 2 p.m., the Mesa Fire Department responded to a near drowning report at a home in the 700 block of West Garnet near Southern Avenue and Extension Road, according to Forrest Smith, a Mesa fire spokesman.
The boy apparently had fallen into the pool after getting out of the home through a sliding glass door and had been out of his mother’s supervision for about three to five minutes when she realized he was not inside the house.
Once the mother discovered the child at the bottom of the algae-filled pool, she pulled him out and performed CPR on him. The boy was conscious and crying when emergency crews arrived, Smith said.
There were two other children home at the time of the incident, and there was not a safety fence around the pool, Smith said.
Contact writer: (480) 898-6533 or firstname.lastname@example.org