A Scottsdale man died from burns he suffered Monday night in a garage fire at his home, police said Tuesday.
Bill Donnelly, 45, who had second- and third-degree burns to his face, chest, back and arms, died Monday night after being flown to the burn unit at Maricopa Medical Center in Phoenix, fire and police officials said.
Firefighters, using thermal-imaging equipment to see through smoke, found Donnelly inside his home in the 12000 block of East Ironwood Drive after responding to multiple calls about a 7:45 p.m. garage fire, said Mike Clark of Rural/Metro Fire Department.
Neighbors told firefighters they thought family members were still inside the home, Clark said.
Fire investigators found evidence of flammable liquids on Donnelly’s workbench in the garage, Clark said. The liquids, items typically found in garages, are believed to have caused the fire.
"We’ll never knew for sure because he’s not around to tell us, but it looks as if he was at his bench and something ignited," Clark said.
Scottsdale police detective Sam Bailey said Donnelly walked to a couch inside his home and collapsed. He was home alone.
According to the Maricopa County assessor’s Web site, Donnelly had lived in the 2,500-square-foot home since 1992.
Donnelly did not have a heartbeat when firefighters found him, Clark said.
They resuscitated him, took him to Scottsdale Healthcare Shea hospital, then flew him to the burn unit, where he died.
The fire destroyed the garage and burned part of the attic, Clark said.
Donnelly is survived by his wife and daughter, police said. Neither was identified.