Apartment complex fire started from AC repair - East Valley Tribune: East Valley Local News

Apartment complex fire started from AC repair

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Related Stories

Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:33 am | Updated: 4:42 pm, Wed Dec 3, 2014.

A Tempe fire that left an apartment building heavily damaged and about 20 people homeless on Tuesday, appears to have started when a worker was repairing an air conditioning unit on the roof, a fire department spokesman said.

The fire at Casa di Grigio apartments, 1855 E. Don Carlos Drive, broke out on the roof of a building on the south side of the complex about 1:30 p.m. The blaze caused 64 tenants to be evacuated, a Tempe police sergeant to be treated for smoke inhalation, and left at least one dog dead, according to Mike Reichling, a Tempe fire spokesman.

The people who were displaced from their homes were relocated by the Red Cross, and the people who could return to their homes were able to get back inside about 6:30 p.m.

Tempe police Sgt. Dan Masters, who was the first to respond to the scene to evacuate people was hit on the head from some debris from the fire, and was treated for smoke inhalation and released, Reichling said.

No dollar amount of damage from the fire was available.

More about

More about

  • Discuss

Facebook

EastValleyTribune.com on Facebook

Twitter

EastValleyTribune.com on Twitter

Google+

EastValleyTribune.com on Google+

RSS

Subscribe to EastValleyTribune.com via RSS

RSS Feeds

Spacer4px
Your Az Jobs