Chandler is taking applications from those interested in standing in for Councilman Martin Sepulveda, who is leaving to serve in Iraq.
Sepulveda is a member of the U.S. Naval Reserve. He is expected to be gone for as long as six months, city spokeswoman Jane Poston.
Sepulveda, who announced that both he and his son had been called to active duty in November, filed his military orders with the city on Friday, touching off the replacement process that began this week.
Candidates have until Jan. 3 to submit their applications. Paperwork can be picked up at City Clerk’s office, 55 N. Arizona Ave., or downloaded off the Internet at chandleraz.gov.
Qualified candidates must be registered to vote in Maricopa County, be at least 18 years old and a resident of Chandler for a minimum of two years.
Following the application deadline, six of the seven members on the council will each nominate someone on Jan. 4, according to a memo sent to the council late Monday. Sepulveda is prohibited from nominating a replacement.
The council will interview the finalists Jan. 17 and take a final vote for a fill-in on Jan. 28. A majority of the council is needed to select a candidate.
No one has filed paperwork so far, but several people have already drawn paperwork from the city clerk’s office, Poston said. Fill-ins will receive normal council salary for as long as they serve on the council. Currently council members make $13,500 per year.
Because of political disagreements and squabbling, the council was unable to agree on a candidate the last time Sepulveda was called back to active duty in 2005. So the seat remained vacant until he returned.
Council members have said that would not happen again.