The holiday season, as most know, is about as busy as it gets for travel. But Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport officials are again trying to make it easier.
The airport sees almost double the regular number of travelers — 150,000 to 200,000 per day — during the weeks surrounding Thanksgiving, spokeswoman Deborah Ostreicher said.
To ease the stretch, Sky Harbor will open an extra holiday parking lot at 7 a.m. today at Copperhead Drive and Buckeye Road. Parking there is a flat fee of $20 for up to 10 days and will remain open until its 800 spaces are filled.
Also, the airport recently created a "Stage & Go Lot" for people who are sick of circling the terminals while waiting to pick up travelers. Drivers may wait in their vehicles in this 90-space lot just west of the Terminal 2 parking garage for free.
Ostreicher also offered a few tips for holiday fliers:
• Arrive two hours early.
• Bundle up. Check the weather at your destination and pack a carry-on coat or sweater accordingly.
• Travelers are required to take off coats, jackets, blazers and sometimes shoes before going through security checkpoints.
• Pick passengers up at baggage claim.
• Don’t prewrap gifts. Security may have to unwrap them.
• Don’t stuff luggage too full in case it’s searched. Include identification inside your checked luggage.