Scottsdale City Council looks to fill advisory panel vacancies - East Valley Tribune: East Valley Local News

Scottsdale City Council looks to fill advisory panel vacancies

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 8:31 am | Updated: 2:05 pm, Thu Oct 6, 2011.

Residents are being encouraged to serve Scottsdale by applying for positions on various city boards and commissions.

Applications must be filed by Nov. 24 to be considered for openings set to be filled in December.

The City Council has slated Dec. 8 or 9 to fill positions ranging from the Board of Adjustment to the Tourism Development Commission.

Terms are three years, and positions are voluntary. They are open to Scottsdale residents only.

"It is the only opportunity where residents can have a direct bearing on what is going on," said David Vaughan, who recently finished a term on the Airport Advisory Commission. "People should get involved in an area where they have an expertise, whether it be aviation, transportation or tourism."

Board of Adjustment: Quasi-judicial panel hears variance requests and appeals to the zoning administrator’s interpretations.

Building Advisory Board of Appeals: Recommends minor variances in electrical, plumbing and mechanical issues related to the city’s building code. Members must have experience in matters relating to building construction.

Environmental Quality Advisory Board:

Advises the City Council on issues related to environmental quality and the prioritization for environmental activities and events.

Human Relations Commission: Recommends ways to encourage mutual respect, to discourage prejudice and discrimination, and to work toward cultural awareness and unity.

McDowell Sonoran Preserve Commission:

Provides resident oversight for the acquisition, preservation, management and stewardship of the McDowell Mountains and desert.

Pride Committee: Advises the City Council on ways to involve residents in preserving and enhancing the environment and the quality of life.

Tourism Development Commission:

Advises the City Council on matters relating to spending bed-tax revenue. According to city code, this vacancy requires someone with hotel or resort experience.

Applications and information on the commissions are available from the City Clerk’s Office, 3939 N. Drinkwater Blvd., by calling (480) 312-2412 or online at under the "Mayor, Council and Government" category.

  • Discuss

Facebook on Facebook

Twitter on Twitter

Google+ on Google+


Subscribe to via RSS

RSS Feeds

Your Az Jobs