More details released in Q.C. girls' death - East Valley Tribune: East Valley Local News

More details released in Q.C. girls' death

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, July 6, 2006 9:56 pm | Updated: 3:50 pm, Fri Oct 7, 2011.

The man accused of fatally shooting a Queen Creek teenager June 4 during a sleepover was calm but ill while police questioned him on the night of the crime, according to a report released Thursday.

Michael Lance, 41, gagged and vomited in the front yard of the Gilbert house at 1155 S. Cottonwood Court the night of the killing, while 15-year-old Lyndsey Miles lay dead on the living room couch, the report states.

"He spoke in a monotone, emotionless voice the entire time and displayed a tired, weary expression and rarely made eye contact with me," Gilbert officer Rodney Kirkendall noted in the report.

Police asked the man what happened and he replied that he didn't know. When police detained Lance for questioning at the scene he said he had only met the girl once, and that he didn't know her well. Lance said he wondered how someone could have come into the house and started shooting, the report states.

"Ever since (seeing her), I've been feeling like I'm going to faint," Lance told police at the scene after he had seen Miles dead, the report states.

Lance told police he was outside smoking a cigarette at the time of the slaying, but that he may have heard a "little noise," that sounded, "like bangs, like caps, like scary stuff," according to the report.

Lance also told police in the report that he had been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and bipolar disorder and had not taken his medications in weeks because he did not believe they were effective.

Lance is charged with one count of first degree murder and is being held on $1 million bail in Maricopa County's Towers Jail in Phoenix. He has a hearing scheduled for Aug. 3.

  • Discuss

Facebook on Facebook

Twitter on Twitter

Google+ on Google+


Subscribe to via RSS

RSS Feeds

Your Az Jobs