Commuters should think of President Barack Obama’s appearance at Arizona State University as if Sun Devil Stadium were hosting a big football game — and then some.
Authorities are warning of traffic congestion and delays in downtown Tempe before, during and after Wednesday night’s commencement ceremony.
Roads will be blocked off, buses will be detoured and light-rail trains won’t run on the tracks near the stadium.
The event begins at 7 p.m., although attendees have been told to arrive hours earlier.
Metro light rail will not operate in either direction between the University/Rural and College/Veterans Way stations from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. During that time, a “bus bridge” will run between the stations.
Also, shuttles will run from 3 p.m. until 6 p.m. from the two stations to the north side of the stadium.
Street closures and restrictions:
• Veterans Way between University Drive and College Avenue will be closed from 1:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
• Sixth Street between Packard Drive and Veterans Way will be closed from 2 p.m. until traffic dissipates.
• Alpha Drive will be closed north of University Drive from 2 p.m. until traffic dissipates.
• Eastbound and westbound Loop 202 Red Mountain Freeway exit ramps onto Scottsdale Road will be closed from 8 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
• University Drive will be closed to westbound traffic west of McClintock Drive from 8 p.m. until traffic dissipates.
• Rural Road southbound will be closed between Curry Road and University Drive from 8 p.m. until traffic dissipates.
• Rural Road southbound will be restricted to two lanes between University Drive and Terrace Road between 1:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.
• All traffic heading eastbound on University Drive will be required to turn south onto Mill Avenue from 8 p.m. until traffic dissipates.
• All traffic heading south on Ash Avenue will be required to turn west onto University Drive from 8 p.m. until traffic dissipates.
• All traffic exiting the stadium area via Rio Salado Parkway will be required to go north on Rural Road or east on Rio Salado Parkway to McClintock Drive or Loop 101 from 8 p.m. until traffic dissipates.
• All traffic heading northbound on Rural Road will be required to turn right at University Drive from 8 p.m. until traffic dissipates.
Bus detours and restrictions:
• Route 72 northbound — Regular route north on Rural Road to Apache Boulevard; east on Apache to McClintock Drive; north on McClintock to Curry Road; west on Curry to Rural; north on Rural Road to resume regular route.
• Route 72 southbound — Regular route south on Rural Road to Curry Road, east on Curry to McClintock Drive; south on McClintock Drive to Apache Boulevard; west on Apache to Rural; south on Rural to resume regular route.
• Route 30 westbound — Regular route west on University Drive to McClintock Drive; south on McClintock to Apache Boulevard; west on Apache to Mill Avenue; north on Mill to University; west on University to resume regular route.
• Route 30 eastbound — Regular route east on University Drive to Mill Avenue; south on Mill to Apache Boulevard curve eastbound; east on Apache to McClintock Drive; north on McClintock to University Drive; east on University to resume regular route.
• Flash to University Drive and Flash will not operate after 3 p.m.