The Gilbert Town Council is scheduled Tuesday to go behind closed doors to discuss a previously approved $60 million auto mall incentive package.
Mayor Steve Berman said the developer has indicated he may want to revisit some details of the agreement.
"We structured the deal in a weird way, and I’d be willing to look and consider how the money is paid and allocated," said Berman, who added that he does not support a change to the total rebated amount.
Gilbert Santan Motorplex developer Bill Lund could not be reached for comment.
Town Attorney Susan Goodwin said she called the session in response to legal questions from council members that she felt should be answered in executive, or closed, session.
Any changes to the agreement would be made in a public session.
The closed session will be held two weeks after Lund and Chandler auto mall developers Kimco Developers and De Rito Partners Development announced a confidential deal that they said will allow both projects to move forward without opposition from the other.
The Gilbert Town Council in December approved an agreement to rebate 50 percent of sales taxes generated from the Gilbert Santan Motorplex through 2017, or until a maximum $60 million is reached.
Lund must begin infrastructure construction by October to qualify for the rebate.
The Chandler City Council in May approved an uncapped, estimated $40 million incentive package for the Chandler 202 Auto Park project. Then, Lund financially backed a referendum effort in Chandler to stop the competing project, but that ended with the confidential agreement between the two sides.