1) Most people will qualify for body donations – even those with disease such as cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer’s etc. People often confuse whole body donation for medical research with organ donation for transplant. Organ donation has a different criterion. Whole body donation, which we offer, has a much broader acceptance criterion. We work to serve the needs of the medical community. Currently the main rule outs for donation are contagious disease or extreme obesity.
2) One motivation for body donation is giving back to science. People can give back to medical science and research, leaving a lasting legacy for future generations. The second motivation for body donation is financial. An average funeral is about $9000 while cremation can be from $600-$3000. Many people may not have the funds available at the time of need. The third motivation would be convenience. Today family members live all across the country and many cannot fly back to organize and attend a big funeral. Body donation with free cremation is simple, economical and a tremendous gift for future generations.
3) Body donations include cremation. Upon acceptance into the Science Care program, the cremation is included at no cost to the family.
4) We are local. Science Care started in Phoenix in 2000. We are a nationwide donor program and provide tissue and training facilitates both domestically and internationally. We are one of only three accredited by the American Association of Tissue Banks, which is an independent organization that ensures high standards for quality and safety.
5) We help facilitate hands on surgical training and medical research. One important type of project is with medical implant devices and the research, development and training of surgeons. The pace of medical advancement is rapid. Often there are developments with less invasive surgical techniques which decrease patient down time and improves outcomes. Science Care is here to help support the training of surgeons on how to use those techniques. We have a surgical training facility in Phoenix, others around the country and a nationwide network of partner facilities.
Science Care sets the standard of excellence for the donation and responsible use of human tissues for medical research, training and professional education.
Main 800.417.3747|Client Services/Professional Education 800.590.8132