Ladies and gentlemen, start your summer. More than 20 neighborhood pools across the East Valley make affordable places to while away hot days, and many go beyond basic lap pools to mimic the attractions at pricey water parks.
Take, for example, Nozomi Aquatic Center’s 112-foot figure-eight water slide, crashing 3-foot waves at Kiwanis Wave Pool, a Lazy River at Mesquite Groves Aquatic Center and The FlowRider. The main attraction at Rhodes Aquatic Center, it combines the feel of snowboarding, skateboarding and wakeboarding in a wet ride that requires little skill to have a good time.
Hours of operation vary wildly at these pools. Contact each facility directly for the most up-to-date information.
Superstition Shadows Aquatics Center, 1091 W. Southern Ave.
• A.J.’s pool is open through Aug. 3. Daily fees are $1-$2 per person; season passes for individuals or families are available for $45-$95. (480) 474-5210 or AJCity.net
Arrowhead Pool, 1475 W. Erie St.
Desert Oasis Aquatic Center, 1400 W. Summit Place
Folley Pool, 600 E. Fairview
Hamilton Aquatic Center, 3838 S. Arizona Ave.
Mesquite Groves Aquatic Center, 5901 S. Hillcrest Drive
Nozomi (formerly West Chandler) Aquatic Center, 250 S. Kyrene Road
• Admission to Chandler pools is 75 cents to $2.25 per person, but most pools offer a weekly Free Swim session and weekly $1 Family Nights. Chandler residents may buy individual punch passes and family season passes. (480) 782-2750 or ChandlerAZ.gov/aquatics
Greenfield Municipal Pool, 35 S. Greenfield Road
Mesquite Aquatic Center, 100 W. Mesquite St.
Perry Pool, 1775 E. Queen Creek Road
Williams Field Pool, 1900 S. Higley Road
• Gilbert pools are open through Aug. 3. All pools are closed on Sundays. Admission fees are $1-$3 per person; 30-visit punch cards are available for $25. (480) 503-6200 or Gilbertaz.gov/parks/aquatics
Brimhall Aquatics Complex, 4949 E. Southern Ave.
Carson/Westwood Aquatic Complex, 525 N. Westwood
Fremont Aquatic Complex, 1101 N. Power Road
Kino Aquatic Center, 848 N. Horne
Rhodes Aquatic Complex, 1860 S. Longmore St.
Shepherd Aquatic Complex, 1407 N. Alta Mesa Drive
Skyline Aquatics Center, 845 S. Crismon Road
Stapley Aquatic Complex, 3250 E. Hermosa Vista Drive
Taylor Pool, 705 S. 32nd St.
• Admission is $1.25-$4 per person. Family season passes, regularly $210, are 50 percent off if purchased by May 27. Punch tickets, available anytime for $15 or $45, offer a 25-percent savings on regular admission. (480) 644-2352 or visit MesaAZ.gov/parksrec/aquatics
Escalante Pool, 2150 E. Orange St.
Kiwanis Wave Pool, 6111 S. All-America Way
• Admission fees are 75 cents to $1.25 per person at Escalante and $3-$7 per person at Kiwanis. Four “splash parks” throughout the city are always free. (480) 350-5204, (480) 350-5201 or Tempe.gov/pools