When it comes to camping, hiking, fishing, kayaking and other outdoor pursuits, we’ll load up the car and drive all over the state. A giant expo spotlighting these and other hobbies will require us only to go as far as Glendale.
The 14th annual Arizona International Sportsmen’s Exposition comes Feb. 20-23 to University of Phoenix Stadium. Open to the public, it puts hundreds of manufacturers and retailers, guides and outfitters, enthusiast clubs and groups, and destinations at your fingertips. Among the attractions:
• Campers, trailers, ATVs, trucks and 4x4s.
• The Arizona Boat Show, with 11 local marine dealers offering wakeboard and ski boats, fishing boats, family runabouts, party pontoons, deck boats, kayaks and stand-up-paddle boards for sale.
• A 40-ft.-long aquarium demonstration tank, which presents Arizona’s top bass pros and fishing guides.
• Talks by experts on everything from javelina hunting and Roosevelt Lake crappie to “Desert-Ready Preparedness for Hunting, Camping & Offroading.”
• Special guests Tim Ralston, a Scottsdale-based outdoor-gear guru, and Richard Nance, host of Personal Defense TV.
• A 9,000-sq.-ft., three-dimensional-target archery range with a high-energy tournament that awards cash and prizes in men’s and women’s divisions.
• A Youth Fair with free instruction in catch-and-release fishing and archery.
• Arizona Game and Fish Department “asset sale,” which raises money for law-enforcement operations by selling and auctioning seized hides, horns and other items.
• The Grand Canyon Council Boy Scouts of America’s annual Scout-O-Rama takes place Saturday on the stadium’s west lawn. That event carries a separate admission fee.
If you go
What: The 11th annual Chandler Classic Car & Hot Rod Show
When: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday through Saturday, Feb. 20-22, and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 23.
Where: University of Phoenix Stadium, 1 Cardinals Drive, Glendale
Cost: $12 adult admission. Parking is free, as is admission to youth younger than 15, active military with military ID, and uniformed scouts.
Information: (800) 545-6100 or SportsExpos.com