Here’s how my actual Get Out notebook — the used, abused, doodle-covered notepad I throw on the floorboards, shove into six different purses a week and rifle through like a madwoman — actually reads:
• Barrio Café — Gilbert
• Ray’s/Roy’s/Steve’s Café? *Can’t remember guy’s name.*
• Another burger place, Tempe (... Chandler too?)
• Urban Table???
Clearly, a translation of these East Valley dining notes is in order. From the top:
• Barrio Café, one of the most in-demand and awarded Mexican eateries in the Valley, is coming to Gilbert. Sort of. Owner-chef Silvana Salcido Esparza will open a restaurant called Barrio in the former GrainBelt Grillhouse/Mahogany Run/Gonzo’s All-American Grill building on Gilbert Road, according to an article posted on Barrio Café’s Facebook page. It’s expected to open in November.
• Did you see the story on Mark’s Café on Fox 10 News? Short version: Members of the community volunteered time, skills and money to save this little restaurant, formerly called Culinary Solutions, from going under in a bad economy. Tentative re-opening is set for May 18 at 6340 S. Rural Road, Tempe.
• In-N-Out. Five Guys. Fatburger. Smashburger. And one more reason to argue over who has the best beef on a bun: The Habit Burger Grill. The SoCal chain known for its $2.95 “Charburger” opens its first Arizona restaurant May 25 at 1817 E. Guadalupe Road, Tempe. A Chandler store debuts over the summer. Taste the food noon to 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. May 22, and noon to 2 p.m. May 23, at the Tempe location. All proceeds will benefit Ryan House, the Muscular Dystrophy Association and Boys and Girls Club of the East Valley.
• Urban Picnic. It’s a new restaurant touting sophisticated, organic fast food at 218 W. Main St., Mesa, and it’s earned favorable reviews on blogs LocalLily.com, AngelaHardison.blogspot.com and IHeartMesa.blogspot.com.
• Contact writer: (480) 898-6818 or email@example.com