Restaurants put new spin on Girl Scout cookie faves
If you haven’t already been hit up at the office or outside the
grocery store, it’s that time of year again: Girl Scout cookies are
for sale. And this time, instead of buying a box of Thin Mints to
keep in the freezer, you can find the cookies on local restaurant
menus. Chefs at Blue Wasabi in Gilbert, CHoP in Chandler and TQLA
in Mesa have re-imagined one of the six beloved brands of Girl
Scout cookies into custom desserts. They'll be on the menu
through Feb. 28. For a full list of participating restaurants,
TQLA's Tagalong Tiramisu
1840 S. Val Vista Drive, Mesa
6 egg yolks
4 tablespoons sugar
1 lb. mascarpone cheese
1 ½ cups espresso
2 tablespoons Patrón XO Café
24 lady finger cookies
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 box Girl Scout Tagalong Cookies
cocoa powder or shaved chocolate
1. Beat eggs and sugar until thick. Add cheese and vanilla extract, and beat until smooth.
2. In a separate bowl, combine espresso and Patrón. Dip the lady fingers in the mixture, and place in pan.
3. In a food processor, chop half the box of Tagalog cookies and spread on top of the lady fingers. Spread cheese mixture on top and repeat layers.
4. Top with cocoa powder/shaved chocolate and refrigerate. Garnish the top with the remaining Tagalongs in the box.
Blue Wasabi's Girl Scout Cookie Roll
2080 E. William Field Road, Gilbert
2 fruit roll-ups (full size)
3 Rice Krispie treat squares
8 Samoas cookies
6 Trefoils cookies
strawberry puree sauce
1. On a cutting board, lay fruit roll-ups down so they overlap on the shorter sides by half an inch. Unwrap Rice Krispie treats and place in microwave for 20 seconds. Push Rice Krispie treats down onto the roll-ups, and spread into one even layer so no fruit roll-up is showing. Turn upside down so the Rice Krispie treat is on the cutting board and the roll-up side is facing up.
2. Break four Samoas in half and lay them down, overlapping just a little bit, in one line lengthwise across the fruit roll-up. Break three Trefoils into pieces and lay them on top of the Samoas. Roll the entire sheet of Rice Krispies, roll-ups and cookies into a tube, to look like a sushi roll.
3. Break four Samoas in half and lay them across the top of the roll. Use a sushi rolling mat to crimp the roll into shape and push the Samoas down into the top.
4. Cut into 9 pieces. Place the roll lengthwise on a plate, with each piece offset slightly from the one ahead of it. Place a dollop of whip cream on each piece and generously drizzle caramel, chocolate and strawberry puree on top of the roll. Crunch up remaining Trefoils and sprinkle cookie crumbles on top of the roll.
CHoP's Kick-off Ice Cream Sandwich
2625 E. Queen Creek Road, Chandler
16 ozs. butter, melted
7 cups crushed Oreo cookie wafers (without the cream)
2 cups Thin Mint cookies, roughly chopped
2 quarts vanilla ice cream, softened
12 fresh mint springs
1. Line 13”x18”x2” sheet pan with plastic wrap. Combine melted butter with crushed Oreos, and use half of this mixture to line the bottom of the pan.
2. In a mixer on low speed, combine ice cream and Thin Mint cookie pieces. Pour mixture into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Top with remaining Oreo cookie mixture, distributing Oreos evenly, and cover with plastic wrap. Gently press and freeze for four hours.
4. Cut into 12 rectangles, topping each with fresh whipped cream and a mint sprig to serve.