Chandler resident wins regional Crisco recipe contest with her Sour Cream Lemon Pie. Here is the recipe.
Adriel's Sour Cream Lemon Pie Recipe:
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
2-1/2 Tbs. sugar
1 cup of Crisco shortening
1 tsp. vinegar
4 Tbs. water
1 cup sugar
3-1/2 Tbs. cornstarch
1 Tbs. grated lemon peel
1/2-cup fresh lemon juice
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sour cream
Fresh whipped cream, sweetened
Lemon rind twists for garnish
Directions for crust:
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar. Mix well; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. In a small bowl, combine egg, vinegar and four tablespoons of water. Whisk together and gradually add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork. Mix until ingredients are well incorporated. Add one more tablespoon of water if necessary. Form into a ball with hands. (Recipe makes enough dough for two crusts. Cut ball in half and reserve one half for another pie or freeze for future use.)
3. If dough seems too soft, place in refrigerator for 5-10 minutes. Otherwise, roll out on a lightly floured surface to the size of a pie pan and place in the pie pan. Trim crust to 1/2- inch beyond the edge of the pie plate. Fold under and crimp edge as desired. Prick bottom and sides of crust several times to prevent bubbling and line with a double thickness of aluminum foil. Bake at 450 degrees (F) for 8 minutes. Remove foil and bake 5-6 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Directions for Filling:
1. Meanwhile, while the crust is cooling, prepare filling.
2. In a medium-size heavy saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon rind, lemon juice, egg yolks, and milk; cook over medium heat until mixture is thick. Stir in butter and cool mixture to room temperature.
3. After filling has cooled, stir in sour cream and pour into pie shell. Chill for at least four hours.
4. Before serving, top pie with sweetened whipped cream and lemon rind twists.
Makes one, 9-inch pie, which makes 6-8 servings.