Church’s new home almost done - East Valley Tribune: Get Out

Church’s new home almost done

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Saturday, November 3, 2007 3:32 am | Updated: 5:57 pm, Fri Oct 7, 2011.

After 95 years at its current site at 251 W. Chandler Blvd., Chandler United Methodist Church will move in January. Members are working to relocate to 450 E. Chandler Heights Road and 11,766 square feet of buildings, the first phase of construction.

The first phase includes a worship/social center, offices and parking. It was financed by the congregation’s Leap of Faith campaign. The second phase, with construction pegged for the “near future,” will include a social hall and worship center, administration building, education building, music building, chapel and memory garden.

The city recently purchased the current church building and property at Chandler Boulevard and California Street as part of downtown redevelopment. Chandler’s founder, Dr. A.J. Chandler, first donated the lot for the church in 1913. On it, the first church was built from wood, with no windows. Instead it had canvas flaps around all sides, and it was called “The Old Flap Church.” A mission-style church was constructed there in 1939. It was replaced by the current structure put up in 1960.

The style of the new church building will be reminiscent of the Old Flap Church, with side windows and doors, said church spokeswoman Gwen Chandler Rusk.

Chandler United Methodist, which is led by the Rev. Mike Downing, will continue to hold services at 9 a.m. at its old location until the January move.

For more information, call (480) 963-3360 or see www.chandlermethodist.org.

  • Discuss

Facebook

GetOut on Facebook

Twitter

GetOut on Twitter

Google+

GetOut on Google+

RSS

Subscribe to GetOut via RSS

RSS Feeds

Spacer4px
Your Az Jobs